Friday, August 29, 2008

city hall


It was time for watching the French from the inside, time to go to the cite' and be granted approval as permanent residents.  
We woke up -- early -- parisian time.  On the way to the Metro, we could see a few unhappy workers dragging chairs out of their cafes for probably the few Americans who would dare to show up at 8am.  
In our possession, thanks to Pete, were our passports, work permission, letters of recommendation, health documents, bank statements, all the forms we ever filled for the move copied and orderly filed.
Adam feeling the importance of day, packed his book to avoid potential boardom of long lines ahead of us.
The city hall -- Ile de la cite' -- is a boat shaped island on the seine with a history of 2ooo years. There -- in a too beautiful building called La Pre'fecture de police -- we were to be stamped as legit. 
Coming out of one of the exits of the Metro station, with the momentary tourist expression of bewilderment, as we were orienting to the right port of this ancient royal complex I could feel my foreignness.  After quick security check we were finally in -- only to witness a quick deflation of the inner building decor.  The same glorious building was filled with old folding chairs and tables, shiny gray paint concealed intricate decorative art on high ceilings, and peeled paint highlighted the areas exposed to the weather or to faulty internal pluming.  
Raws of identical offices branching off dark corridors were separated only by different numbers.  
But once again, to my surprise, this ill-looking internal building was populated by very well dressed workers who all seemed to be engaged with some important task -- talking on old fashioned phones, typing information on old computers or looking at heavy black dossiers.
My optimistic attitude about the outcome of this visit was gradually changing as we sat down a to wait at office B17.
Obviously, the story does not end here nor would it be soon.  I will spear you, however, the coming Kafka like development of this story.  For myself, I will try to keep an open mind observing the different ways of this culture which resonate and awakened my Israeli roots of true bureaucracy.    t 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

It seems that all the bloggers are vicariously exploring and enjoying Paris with/thru you. Skimming their notes, it is not surprising to see how the culture is a bit misperceived. In fact, maybe it is not misperception, but just our subjective eyes. Nonetheless, Paris, in my view, is an extreme --either you love it, or you find yourself deeply despise it (for now, I’m merely talking about the metropolice). Madrid has more museums, for example; Geneve is much more calming; and Amsterdam for that matter is a true paradise. But, despite these anecdote depictions, Paris is magical. I am glad that you are re-visiting the city and have the opportunity to immerse yourself in it. If to write and to get a muse – this is the place. I hope you’ll embrace this fantastic time. Good luck and keep yourselves safe. Your bigbro

Maggie said...

Tali- My beautiful fellow Virgo-Happy Birthday to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! , (about 9 hours lat at least.) You must be asleep or close to it. I hope you had a fantastic day and that the yr ahead will be as well!
I thought of you often today.
Love from Isabella too! xoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
Maggie

aylatan said...

sweetie,

yom huledet samech!!!!!!! hope you had a wonderful birthday. It is 1 am your time. I got the days mixed up as usual and thought today was sept 2.

anyway, I love you and hope you had a "tasty" paresian birthday.

I sent you an email. love always

ev

Tali said...

Maggie my sister virgo,
Happy birthday to you too
I hope you are having a great day as sweet as you are and will have wonderful year. We both, are entering a great time kids-age wise and life wise isent it?
Salute sista
love you,
Tali

Tali said...

Evelyn my dear congratulation for finishing the semester -- and finishing well!
Thanks for your wishes.
I miss you and I am raising a great glass of beaugelaise red and rich and promising for the future yours and us all,
lehaim,
love
Tali