As we were riding in a taxi to our organic farm just outside of Marrakech, Adam and Pete constructed a conversation about how much closer Morocco is to the equator reconciling time difference with distance while I tried to orient myself by comparing the smells of sheep and gasoline to Cairo and contrasting the strength of the light, the dryness of the earth and the cloudlessness of the sky to Jerusalem. The taxi, an old Mercedes with squeaky doors, filled ashtrays, stuck windows and middle eastern music reminded me of the taxis driven in the Sainai dessert. Jamal, our taxi driver, moving slowly and smiling humbly, welcomed us to the desert saying: "here, we put our trust in God".
The farm, surrounded by olive and palm trees and colorful rugs spread on the grass had its short buildings made out of mud painted with the bright colors, bordered by the Atlas Mountains shining with white sharp peaks.
Dinner, scheduled for 7 pm, is finally served after 9. The colorful dishes are ornamented with daring spice combinations. The lamb saturated with cumin, pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon and mint seemed to echo the same orchestration of the rugs and wall colors. The fresh baked pitas and the sweet mint tea are the only mild flavors giving pauses for the taste buds to smooth the strong pepper bites.
The next day in Marrakech, out in the square we are targeted as the fresh tourists in seconds. Adam is almost immediately wearing a turban with five snakes around him a loud flute charming the snakes and plunging us into more chaos and havoc. Only with money are we able to buy our internal space back and release Adam from the snakes around his neck. Four people with monkeys on leashes approach us but as Pete says, we already paid for school and are not to be the next target. Women covered with henna tattoos push a catalogue of designs on to me and I, with a new assertiveness, utter “No Merci”, “La Shukran” and “No Thank you” as a mantra – they finally leave us.
There is the sun, the clouds of smells, the bright colors, the movements on the squares and most of all, as Adam points out to me, if you close your eyes there is music everywhere; drums, flutes, people yelling, singing and talking – and -- motor bikes zooming. I close my eyes, holding Adam and all the experiences unify into a fishnet of sensations. “It feels like an orchestra without a conductor or a class without a teacher” I say to Adam who seems uncomfortable with the idea and says: “no, maybe God is in charge or the law of evolution.”
It is too busy for philosophical rumination and we enter a circle of curious voyeurs watching a magician handle his illusionary box. He is stuffing it with bottles, hats and animals that keep on disappearing into a black void. The concept of space is defined differently on the road as you walk or in the proximity in which people stand near you.
On the way back, Jamal continued to explain his way of life and Muhamad’s teaching. The most important precept is to slow down and appreciate what is given by God -- as little as it might be. Muhammad never knew how to read or write, he said in awe, at the age of forty he told the whole Koran to his disciples who wrote it down in the course of 24 years and then he died. Although he had many wives he only had two children. His son died while only his daughter gave birth to the wanted boys.
We returned to our room that night, closed the windows drew the curtains and celebrated Hanukah. Our ready made Hanukia candles were brought from Paris along with a few wrapped gifts from Adam’s grandparents. The secretive celebration highlighted our Jewishness, Joel’s stories about the Jews that had to worship in secret became alive. We whispered loudly the Hanukah songs with a sense of titillation and went to sleep skipping dinner but filled with light.
In Marrakech again, this time our visit is mostly dedicated to an internet café for planning the next phase of our vacation. The day is horribly polluted. One cloud of carbon monoxide after the other with no breaks for inhaling, all mixed with dust and loud noises. All three of us feel trapped in this big city and want out.
Finally at dinner, sipping wine made in the Sahara desert unwinding from the intensity and toxicity of the day our cab driver, Jamal joins us to discuss our plan for the next day to go to the Atlas mountains. He asks again for Adam to repeat his name and looks at us differently -- with a familiar smile. “The father of all man” he says. “Yes”, I say adding and his middle name is Yosef. “Oh .. the prophet Yousuf,” he says -- “good name”. Returning the familiarity I say I hope you don’t mind us drinking wine? He says not at all it is only forbidden for people who choose the way of Islam. As the evening continued, more and more layers dropped, and the conversation became more genuine and easy for all of us. When he said "I really like Jews but I have to say I don’t particularly like Israelis" -- I felt I could trust him. When he told me that he thought Osama bin Ladin is not a true Muslim I believed him.
Finally at dinner, sipping wine made in the Sahara desert unwinding from the intensity and toxicity of the day our cab driver, Jamal joins us to discuss our plan for the next day to go to the Atlas mountains. He asks again for Adam to repeat his name and looks at us differently -- with a familiar smile. “The father of all man” he says. “Yes”, I say adding and his middle name is Yosef. “Oh .. the prophet Yousuf,” he says -- “good name”. Returning the familiarity I say I hope you don’t mind us drinking wine? He says not at all it is only forbidden for people who choose the way of Islam. As the evening continued, more and more layers dropped, and the conversation became more genuine and easy for all of us. When he said "I really like Jews but I have to say I don’t particularly like Israelis" -- I felt I could trust him. When he told me that he thought Osama bin Ladin is not a true Muslim I believed him.
After a few days in the Sahara dessert, Jamal came to pick us up from a little town in the Atlas Mountains to take us to our flight from Marrakech to Marseille. On the way we listened to the story of Yosuf in the Koran. Phrase after phrase he translated to us with pride and amazement at its beauty. I was able to dig up some buried Arabic and respond to him in his native tongue.
After a very long drive, almost in Marrakech, he turned the radio on for the news. Israel had just bombed Gaza and many people died was all that I could understand. I asked him to translate more but he turned it off and said he hopes for peace soon.
From the Parisian Christmas to Muhamad’s teaching to Hanukkah and Ma oz zur -- from Israel to America to Paris to Morocco --our journey is a yarn with which we weave the fabric of reality, of what makes sense, of how to be and why.
After a very long drive, almost in Marrakech, he turned the radio on for the news. Israel had just bombed Gaza and many people died was all that I could understand. I asked him to translate more but he turned it off and said he hopes for peace soon.
From the Parisian Christmas to Muhamad’s teaching to Hanukkah and Ma oz zur -- from Israel to America to Paris to Morocco --our journey is a yarn with which we weave the fabric of reality, of what makes sense, of how to be and why.
1 comment:
I loved reading your blog and seeing the photos. I am quite impressed with what I experienced as your poetic and lyrical writing style -- especially in English! Bravo! I look forward to your next entry ... please notify me each time you post as I'd like to follow your unique journey!
Post a Comment