There is so much newness in our life right now that even I find myself comforted by some routine activities we have established here. One of my favorites, other than coffee and fresh croissant in the morning is going to the park in the weekend with our ping pong paddles, a book for Adam and a chess set for us. The French, who love games, greet us with interested looks and random comments. The setting is beautiful and relaxed but usually this reality quickly dissolves as I dive into our chess game.
Most, if not all, of my games with Pete I lose -- some games with more dignity then others. The last defeat seemed like Pete handed me an innocent mirror to look into -- therapy for free.
It was a good game I was holding on to the end with an equal number of pieces as Pete and a slight strategic advantage. However, in the pastoral setting of the park, I only could feel the desolate desert and being trapped in its vast motionless space. Where did these feeling come from and why did I lose the game? Pete wanted to know.
In the end game there is lots of space on the chess board and very few pieces. But in spite of the broad open spaces the pieces cannot move much. The few pawns we had were blocking each other -- locked in a stubborn embrace like Sumo wrestlers. My panicked king turned into a lonely mad warrior running around between his cornered solders trying to create ways for them to save him -- ordering them to the front lines with the hope that they will turn from frogs to queens.
"All you needed to do was to hang in there and use your King" Pete said later -- and I couldn't. He added passionately: "the King is the strongest piece, he holds the truth, he doesn't need protection, he can survive without all his army, I think you underestimate your power". It struck me that he said "your" power not "his". Yet, all I could think of was how vulnerable my king is; exposed and alone and how the fear from the looming checkmate trapped him in my/his own mind.
If it was therapy I am sure the option of Serotonin inhibiters for my king will come up but since I am not a believer in medicating too quickly the human condition -- I do try to understand my king first.
Adam who by then had finished his book and was starting to play with victim pieces lying on the side of the board, started to write a song titled: "The Bishop has a Crush"
The music is really catchy and the words go something like this:
"The bishop has a crush on the Queen
the pawn has a crush on the rook
and maybe even so
it could be yes it could be no
the pawn wont let go of his book"
His fresh angle on reality never ceases to comfort me.
If you can't understand it -- just sing about it.
A total juxtaposition to our habitual park visit was the event of Nuit Blanche. Yet one more celebration in Paris -- a white night every year in October in which all cafes, restaurants, art galleries, and churches stay open throughout the night covered by installation, projections of movies, slides and sculptures of light.
Here the options are countless and the vast space is truly open -- here I feel in a blossoming orchard.
Pete was tired and Adam was in deep sleep so I left by myself at 10 pm to see where my feet would lead me on that white night. This year most of the art was centered around the five main train stations in Paris. Gare du Nord, Gare de L'est, Gare de Lyon, Gare de Bercy and Gare de Lazar all mundane and gray in their daily function were transformed into glorious monuments dressed in regal attires -- like beggars with gowns and pearls.
The Parisians: young teenagers with bicycles and beers, women pushing strollers, families of 2, 3 and more holding the event map, older couples equipped with flashlights and heavy coats and the eternal tourists all united with the hunger to see, to be surprised -- to be transformed.
I always felt that to describe art is like explaining a joke. Instead of reducing the magical night into sentences, I will just post a few photographs I took during the night.
Before signing off, I will just say that with this experience in hand, I am looking forward to enter another end game and see if I can plant an orchard in the dessert.
And if I can't...
I might just sing about it.
2 comments:
Yes, chess is a way to see character. Even though "The King's a fighting piece" as the saying goes, for some who hope so much for peace instead of fighting and war, it is a struggle to stifle the panic when the King must take up arms. For them it would be better to change the game so that the object is not to conquer but is instead to convince your opponent to sign a treaty and make peace so that both players may stop fighting and walk together hand in hand.
Love and Peace,
Lee
Hey Tali,
I always love the middle of the chess game, with the conflict and the carnage. But I can't stand the endgame in chess. I have no patience for it. My feeling, when stuck with only a king, is: let's wrap this up. I don't care who wins or loses at that point. I'm done. The thing is that it's annoying to monkey around with the king, pointlessly scrabbling around the board until you screw up and he's trapped. Life is too short for a protracted end game!
-Sean
Post a Comment